Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Friendship.

I believe that duration does not necessarily designate friendship.

I believe that you can make friends with someone in a short encounter where you exchange the true fabric of your soul. And while your paths may never cross again, in your memory is a friend.

I make friends wherever I choose to be, and I choose to conduct my way that is universally understood. Unassuming, down-to-earth, confident, friendly, kind, a bit feisty, while trying to keep my belief systems secondary. What I believe are opinions - but my values and the way I conduct myself are inarguable things. Let's have that be the first impression you have of me.

I had a lengthy discussion with a friend of mine about being a social butterfly. In that sense, we are cut from the same cloth. Anywhere we go, by the energy we put out, we'll make friends along the way.

My friend posited a thought. That he has the friendship of so many, but always wanted to have a select few that he always hung out with. A posse. He wants to know if that would be better than what he has now.

I thought about that. It's a thought that has crossed my mind many times. I think they are both different - one isn't better than the other, and it depends on the lifestyle you want.

I know for myself, I like the friends/life balance I've attained. Maybe one day I'll settle down and not value as much the vicarious thrill of hearing other people's stories. But for the time being, it's a valuable thing to interact with all walks of life - different races, cultures, belief systems, occupations, majors, political beliefs, and hobbies. I'm imbibing it all and I'm insatiable; I can't imagine it any other way.

I've had the distinct pleasure of coming into contact with so many. Facebook has greatly helped in this area, as with my text message plan. :) I don't see my love for people and life being delimited to a few people. My nature is to be inclusive and by definition - there are no limits to the friendships I'll make in my lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment