Sunday, June 20, 2010

Skydiving.

Here I was - with 4 boys I hardly knew save for a chance encounter I had at Howl at the Moon a few days earlier.

My friends asked me, which skydiving place are you going to? I said, "I don't know." I followed my ignorant response with a smile. What else am I supposed to do?

I know how it sounds. I'm walking into an idiotic situation.

But I trusted my gut. These guys that work with me, we were going skydiving. None of them would let anything happen to me, it's the man code, and at least one of em's got it.

But telling the boys this story made it one of the best inside jokes I've ever known.

The joke was, they were on the way to kill me and I made it very convenient for them to do that, by meeting them at their apartment.

They went on to say all of the 'signs'. There was no billboards along the way. And the jokes continued on and on. I mean, we did have 4 hours just to WAIT to get on the plane. Apparently everyone waiting there were actors. Paid. The vending machines, taken from somewhere, hence the hand written labels for Sprite and Dr. Pepper. The couches were taken from their own apartment, and they spent the whole night making the white picket fences. The tarmac was made of gravel, which they confessed was symptomatic of their low budget. Oh my gosh. It was just too funny.

They're a good group of guys. I like them very much.

The actual act of skydiving - I felt no fear.

Rolling over and falling out was probably the most fulfilling part. The first 4 seconds, you are like AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Then the free fall, felt like a task to survive. Then the parachuting portion is very heavenly. It is a blur. But I'm glad to have experienced it with these daredevils. It was a GREAT Father's day.

No comments:

Post a Comment