Friday, June 25, 2010

Toy Story 3.

I've seen this movie twice. In 3D and 2D.

The concept that resonated with me most, and made me cry absolutely hard was taking the time to tribute and appreciate the many inanimate objects that make our lives whole. It's also about letting go to our past and moving forward to our present. It's far easier said than done, but having the memory should be good enough. It does not require revisiting your past and reliving it.

But 3 cheers to these inanimate objects. It's our toys yes. It's our car. It's our computers. The items that we may trash when its fulfulled its usefulness but, if you were to resurrect these items decades later, memories would resurface. And to be quite honest, we throw these items away, replace them, because if we took note of how important these objects were, we would be emotionally deplete. :) EVERYTHING would affect us. People. Pets. Objects too?!

Some of my toys have greater meaning to me than some living things in my life. I'm glad that Toy Story 3 shed light on this facet. I never hear my toys speak. My favorite bear that I've had for years. Spilled in the oil on the street in my apartment complex. I've stopped looking at you and listening to you. But I love you. You sit patiently in my bed every night, loyal. I know that if there's ever a fire, you and my laptop are coming with me.

To be honest, possessions take up a lot of emotional memory. We already have challenges moving on from the past; items are a trigger just like a scent. I know it's something that just has to happen, but for once, these inanimate objects get its 15 minutes of fame that is due.

To my car, to any possession that has any emotional meaning to me, to my electronics, you serve so many functions in my life and anchor in so many beautiful poignant memories I can't remember on my own. So if I forget you - do not fear like Buzz Lightyear, Woody, Jessie, or Mr. Potato Head do in Toy Story - the darndest things end up happening serendipitously, so I imagine I will find you and rediscover the fond memories flooding back.

No comments:

Post a Comment