Monday, October 25, 2010

Billy Bell.

He was on So You Think You Can Dance - Season 6 and 7. He was prevented from being in the top 20 in season 6 due to injury but was the pick for the surprise 6th boy for season 7.

I was shocked by how I grew intrigued and eventually obsessed with his SPIRIT and technique. He makes it look shockingly easy... especially paired with his carefree laugh and boyish charm. I fell in love with him, and while the judges saw an unsexy technical fanatic who only cared about lines, I saw genius and heart.

There's so much incredible talent in him, and whatever flack he gets - his alleged 'androgyny' and his lack of ability to let go of the technique to connect with his partner and just let go, I look at some of his incredible pieces... Fly by Ludovico Einaudi... Something Bigger, Something Better by Amanda Blank... Venetian Snares... his dance with Lauren Froderman to Boogie Shoes, his jive with Anya, and of course, who could forget the piece about Time with Ade and Alex.. and think he is in a league of his own.

I love him. He is breathtaking as a dancer, and an artist. He is the first person to break through what I know as 'traditional' contemporary, which is based on ballet. The way he can contort his body and choreograph himself to make some of the best solos I've ever seen has made me re-question the vocabulary of dance as I know it. I've never seen anyone dance like that, and I think anyone who sees him dance, will be so utterly inspired.

No comments:

Post a Comment