Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Deep Focus Mode.

I think of the chess grandmasters that have had 10,000+ hours to study their chessgames and to really hone their craft.

I've never had that, or anything close to that in my college career. I know given the time for my midterm, I won't be able to carve out anything masterful, but I do know if I pool in all of my efforts by next Wednesday, I'll be okay. I really will. Additionally, from my midterm til the end of the semester, I really want to understand the concepts and be a wicked programmer for ASP, VB.NET, and C#.NET. I want to be able to know exactly what he's talking about, and know my preferences for the way of doing things after trying his methods, and not just having to memorize what he's written. I want to learn and truly apply what I'm learning. I want to use what I've learned in my website. I think that'd be neat-o!

So my calendar is cleared for TP2. Unless it's a critical event like an interview or family event, I intend to immerse myself completely.

I actually enjoy it very much, contrary to the usual response people have about long periods of studying. I think it's important to have questions answered that begin to float in your mind once a topic is broached. Too many unanswered questions create a hazy mess - and you deserve to allow your neurons fire and form associations to forge the truth! :D While studying, I've listened to a lot of First State (trance), and it's beautiful. Studying at the library really helped me focus, and for that, I'm thankful. As long as I'm relatively satiated, I can go for long periods studying. I've had more A-ha! moments than I could ever have imagined with ASP. It's incredible. The way a subject is taught makes all the difference. This book, Active Server Pages 3.0 for Beginners, although published in 1999, is a godsend.

Today I studied solo and then came together as a group to tackle a practice exam. I felt pretty accomplished, although the greatest accomplishment was understanding what I did not understand.

Tomorrow will be more of the same.

I enjoyed my management class thoroughly. It was about diversity. :) I maintained my healthy eating habits today. I'm proud of that. I definitely do not want the midterms/finals weight to creep up on me this semester, like it did for the past 2 semesters. It's not inevitable. If I start to believe it, then it will come true.

The difference is, this time I really want it.

With programming, a year ago, I didn't want it. Now, I really want it.

I'm excited for Halloween this year and to go to Austin to celebrate with my best friends. There's so much to look forward to, that when I look back upon these times, I want to be proud of what I accomplished. Even though I know what's about to happen in these coming weeks, I just know I will be surprised at how amazing it will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment