Thursday, January 28, 2010

Responsibility.

Okay, let's get the elephant in the room out in the open. If you refer to Day One's post, I vowed to blog every day on this Year in Positivity blog. :) For the past few days, I haven't been.

I realize this! :) Completely. So I will do something about it, because I'm always about solutions. I shall blog right now for as long as it takes to replace the blogs I missed. They will be quality posts too, don't fret.

For the circumstances, I budgeted my time as best as I could in the past few days. I will say matter-of-factly. I worked hard and I pushed myself even harder than I ever have in the past few days. I say that without any ill-will AT ALL -- I find it absolutely incredible what the focus and vision motivated me and my officers to do. Sleeping on 4 hours a night for many days straight was a sunk cost. In order to achieve my ends, I had to capitalize on the momentum I CREATED, anything less would be an affront to the opportunities laid out in front of me. I didn't even predict the amount of interest and support we would garner. And with that, my team and I stepped up. This is what I've dreamed of!

In this time-budgeting, I front-loaded some tasks I knew I wouldn't have time for, such as creating programs for Hunger Banquet and UNICEF at UH brochures. I've learned from my mistakes in the past: the Hunger Banquet was not just a longer UNICEF meeting; it had to have professionalism embedded from all levels, and that included the place settings, anything paper, and the ceremony of course. A year ago, as Advocacy Officer, the way I prepared for meetings was quickly writing the newsletter, even omitting one side of the entire newsletter at certain clutch points. I'm going to mention that it wasn't uncommon to waltz in 10 minutes late. Boy, have I changed from that unprofessional person. If I ever don't account to my word, I will repair it. I won't expect an alibi to degrade my word - one of the most powerful things you own.

I don't know if it's the title of President, or the Discover Leadership Program, or just becoming a bit more mature, but I understand that my role in a team whether it's the Team Lead or just someone serving food to guests, you have to treat that role with a sort of reverence. It takes so much interconnectedness to make something work, and I have a newfound respect for all levels of teamwork to achieve a vision.

I respect others so much who understand their role with this reverence. There are those that may say it's okay if you can't do this, already accepting less than exactly what they've committed to, which I can't understand. Being responsible and stepping up to roles of responsibility is such a great feeling. You become a part of something bigger than yourself. Step up and take action. Get off the sidelines and get in the game!

No comments:

Post a Comment