Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Stole.

Catherine told me the concept of a 'stole'. Apparently it's a graduation garment like an honors cord that you give to a professor that has cultivated you and has made the biggest impact on you.

Here are some tributes to my professors over these past 4 years.

Dr. Parks - You scared the bejesus out of me, and your reputation definitely preceded you. Every MIS major remarked how your class was the weed out class, and at first, it definitely did. The second time around, I think we all got to understand you a bit more, and you explained your motivations from a professor that was extremely tough on you. I admire that brand of teaching, and it really did push me to the next echelon. You have brilliant stories and you are the advocate for MIS through and through. Thank you. Thank you for being helpful with my TP2 assignments, helping me get in contact with many employers in Houston, and just checking in to hear about my job search.

Mr. Little - You have been the first person to keep me close to the ground and humble when I first started at UH. Your page long essay on how poor my essay was really taught me that essay writing is not about finesse but about content, and that true academicians can see right through it. Our long discussions in your office were the thrill of my life as a freshman who had never had real discussions with her teachers. Your class was a joy to sit and listen to because you could defend your position and had a way of discussing things with ease. Most quotable professor, and your charm was second to none.

Dr. Smith - I saw a lot of myself in you. I loved the nature of your class and how you maintained control all of the time. You were funny, intelligent, charismatic, and you explained things beautifully. You were a true professional and I miss your class immensely. Statistics was a class I never believed I would relish, but that is the true testament of a fantastic teacher.

Dr. DeFrank - Humorous, relevant, and such a fantastic speaker. His lectures are always entertaining and strike a chord with me.

Dr. Cook - I loved his southern drawl. His course is something that really stuck with me in understanding the African American human condition. Not quite belonging here or there. It really opened my eyes, and I feel like when I speak about receiving an education, the Harlem Renaissance will go a long way towards that. The course definitely pushed me to write prolifically, learn how to do footnotes and APA style citations, speak in class, and more.

Dr. Pratt and TA - His class kicked my butt, but I learned oh so much about globalization and oil. I read the longest book I ever have, and the most dense: The Prize by Daniel Yergin. I was put through a whole gamut of obstacles, so I feel like that A- was one of the most deserving grades I had ever received.

Wow. I've realized all of the professors I've sincerely enjoyed were ones that put me through the ringer and got me out of my comfort zone.

THANK YOU.

No comments:

Post a Comment