Sunday, November 28, 2010

Dance.

As I watch one of my favorite shows, So You Think You Can Dance, I think about what dancing means.

I also think about why I want to do it so badly. And it starts to make sense once I start to hear Mia Michaels describe how dance is self-expression, and how the body just FEELS it and moves accordingly. I saw the frustration in some of the dancer's faces as she reiterated over and over to "dance less, and to feel more."

It's quite the paradox isn't it?

But it clicked. And I don't think it would've clicked had I not opened up my heart and soul over the past year to the gamut of emotional experiences I've had.

When I dance, and I feel the music, and the energy all around me is in sync, there is absolutely nothing like it. When there's the day-to-day grind, where social norms dictate boredom and it's out of place to be enthusiastic at the grocery store or the DMV - there's a channel. I've slowly unearthed these channels of emotion for me. At one point, it was in boys. I've found it in different kinds of art. Photography. Dance. Singing. Fashion.

The thought of releasing life's emotion and the extraordinary into just another day really excites me. I've learned that the institutions of the world don't embed these outlets for expression and emotion. I have to go to them. I create my own opportunities.

"Just dance, it's gonna be okay." - Lady Gaga

No comments:

Post a Comment