Thursday, November 18, 2010

On Letting Go.

This whole weekend I discussed with my parents in bits and spurts about my decision to move out - soon.

It's like a slow death, but I know it's the best thing I could do!

Sure, I forego the rent money for an apartment I could be saving to build up a nest egg for retirement and to start investing, BUT I'm willing to work smarter in order to bridge the gap.

I could see the somber look in my mom's eyes, who had a much different reaction than my dad. My dad playfully jokes with me, and makes sarcastic jabs at me to move out already. :) I know for them, that's two different displays of love. I love them both to death, and know that it's my time.

26 may be the new 18 in terms of when adults nowadays are 'considered' adults, but this is a question I should be asking myself. Am I doing this for good reasons or just to get away?

I feel like not only the privacy is important to me, but the need to have a place all my own. A place where I can build memories where I learned how to cook, learned how to consistently clean, learned how to manage and run a tight ship on my own place. It doesn't have to be my own, but there's no way I'd be able to learn these things and have the same amount of responsibility back home. My mom enjoys doing household chores way too much. I'd be back in high school.

In addition to that, there's the factor of going on the Metro bus commute, which in and of itself is not bad at all, but it's the time constraint. I would have to coordinate my schedule with the bus; during my stint this summer, I learned that inevitably long days would be put in, so that would strain my ability to get home. I would also be less inclined to see friends that lived in the loop because I would have no way to meet them halfway or I would be constrained by the time I'd have to get back in order to make the bus.

All around, it's a small price to pay for the freedom I will work smarter for and the pride I will put into my apartment.

It's time to have a big girl apartment, sometime after I graduate.

Until then, I am okay with my parent's expressing their love. <3 I would find it hard to let go of my children too.

No comments:

Post a Comment