Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Non-Controversial.

To me, positivity is about the non-controversial. It's about bringing together, and not focusing on the topics that divide. It's when my parents start talking about politics, trying to foist their opinions on me, that I try my hardest to bring out the zen side, the calm, that Mother Teresa-esque side that I think we are all capable of.

It takes power to do it consistently and day-in, day-out.

I think most people would connect non-controversial with boring.

I also think most people would connect controversial with... exciting or entertaining. Maybe it's why the media and our news is laden with sensational headlines or the TV shows that do well are the ones that satiate our hunger for drama.

I'm all about bringing people together. I'm about honesty. Sometimes those two clash. I want everyone to have a good time, be happy in this present moment - but someone else may want everyone to have a reality check and bring their form of honesty to the table.

Every day I will choose bringing people together over forcing the truth down someone's throat. For all I know, my perceptions of the truth may be wrong. I may not yet know the exact ingredients to living the best life, so all I am empowered to do is leave a zero-negativity footprint.

I've realized this year that a lot of my friends and family don't understand this way of life. But misunderstanding doesn't mean there can't be respect, and love. I feel like I've tried the negativity approach for the last 20 years. This one works a WHOLE LOT better.

It is entirely possible to be non-controversial and still be a fascinating, interesting, and classy individual. It'll take much more work however, than simply relying on knowing one's hot buttons and pressing them at the right time to get a reaction.

No comments:

Post a Comment